When I think of travelling, there are two kinds of trips. A short vacation or a longer jaunt when you’ll be away long enough to require nail clippers. For longer term travel, obviously nail clippers are a must and the question becomes the rest of your stuff. So here are my 5 levels of travel:
1. No nail clippers – Anything less than two weeks can get away without packing nail clippers.
2. Need to pack nail clippers – Over two weeks, some digital maintenance is going to be required. Of course, nail clippers aren’t allowed on carry-on bags anymore so if you don’t check luggage, buy them at your destination.
3. Sublet your place – If you can swing over a month to travel, subletting your place is a great way to help cover travel expenses. You get all the financial freedom of being a traveller while you’re away with all the security of having a home base to return to.
4. Move and store things – For extended trips, leave it all behind. Pack up the things you’ll want and need when you return to your life. This trip is a break from your life but you’ll be back.
5. Get rid of everything – This is an adventure of a lifetime. A commitment to minimalist living on the road and maybe after. Combined with location independent work, this could lead to a whole new life. The goal of this journey is to end up somewhere else than you started.